Sunday 5 October 2014

Finding my first AOL

This was not what I was expecting out of today's Skype call. I used an example of an experience that was on a mind map I have been creating as of late. We discussed it as a group, as I was unsure about which experience would be deem relevant for Master credits.

Example used:
I started teaching artistic Rollerskating to children (Graded syllabus) about 10 years ago.  I was talking about how I had passed the grades before i took the teaching qualification, but then how i realised how hard some of my students were finding the grades and actually all they wanted to do was free skate. I was then poised with a question " What did you learn from this experience?" To which I answered (and had to think very hard) "I learnt to be patient". Now before hand I probably had not realised what I had gained from this experience apart from me just teaching children how to skate. But having time to think and look at this from another perspective, overall it was not the teaching I was interested in, it was HOW I was teaching!

The discussion between the group developed about this experience. I realised that after all, this experience was very valuable, and could be offered for a suggested AOL and also how it formed a basis for my self development as a teacher for the years to come. The statement about learning how to be patient, really tied under how I teach.
From the time I finished my dance degree until present, I have had several roles in teaching. Each teaching experience has followed and developed from the experience before hand. Teacher training, really enhanced my understanding of various learners, ways of teaching and PATIENCE. This was a skill I needed to develop if I was to be a successful teacher. But what has tied each teaching experience with the next.

------> Go back to my mind map of experiences.
Artistic Roller Skater teacher (Graded)
Fancy Feet Dance teacher ( Ballet and tap Graded)
Primary PPA PE Dance session (National Curriculum Levels)
GCSE Dance ( Levels)
A-Level Dance ( Levels)
BTEC Dance ( Levels)
PE Ks3 and 4 ( Levels)
Dance through PE Curriculum ( Levels)

I have realised that a very large percentage of my teaching career has involved a Syllabus. Now this really changes things for me, as I have an area for research and findings for my first AOL!!!!

Next Step: I am now going back to all of these experiences and link them to literature. Which author/ researcher said this or that about syllabus! Why do we have to follow them? Why were they created? Why do they change? How do we become successful educators and ensuring our students access the best marks? Most important- How do my students feel about learning a syllabus?

Present Thought: I always seem to link my studies around what my daughter Storm is doing as she is a little dancer herself. Now she currently follows the RAD ballet syllabus, the ISTD Tap syllabus and the british gymnastics levels for her gym classes. Questions and observations for Storm:  does she enjoy her classes?, is it better for her learning because it has structure?,  does it restrict her creativity and enjoyment for her activity because she has to abide by the rules?

Last night before the Skype call I was looking into a course aimed at dancers wanting to teach Acro. I really want to do it and again the aim is to provide acrobat syllabus to Students. I wonder is it me who likes teaching a syllabus and always finding things to be taught via a level and being measured by a level? I am starting to think so!!! I like structure and I like to see a scale.

Anyways here is the course, wonder if anyone knows about it (Aggy can you shed some light as Helen recommended I Speak to you as your dance experience/expertise in Ariel dancing)
If anyone is interested in booking onto it even better!!

http://acrobaticarts.ca/teacher-certification/certification-program/


Happy Weekend people!!!

Marie-Reine xxx

5 comments:

  1. Great read Marie-Reine. I thought you were Module 3, how wrong can I be. You just spoke so confidently:) Great thoughts around your AOL, now I get many ideas for mine... I hope...
    Maria:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie
    Interesting Blog!! Funny is that while I was reading it I could say so many times 'me too', it felt like you were having same thoughts when it comes to structure, enjoyment and questions you had. Truth is I looooove the structure too! When you talk about your little Storm and asking questions: Does structure restrict her creativity, enjoyment? Mhmmm, very interesting question.... I can only talk from my own experience when I look back at my life and times when I was that dancing little girl. Did structure and syllabus restrict my creativity? As a young student of National Ballet I think we learnt to enjoy different things, would I dare to say more serious things?. At the age around 8 I used to hop around in the amateur dance group and oh boy, that was joy (Isadora Duncan would def approve that!) but National Ballet was waaay different. There came structure, discipline, serious competition among the girls. And although my freedom of movement and what comes with it the joy of it, was taken away a little bit I started enjoy different things. I started loving the structure, repetition of movements in order to achieve the "perfection", years later (till today) the discipline and rigorous environment. And one would say that you can't get creative in ballet due to the same syllabus for about 'million' of years. I could not disagree with it more!! We ballerinas get creative in a different way, that is why you will never see same ballerinas dancing the same way. You will notice that each pas they do is different, each of us will do port de bras differently, each of them will give you a different tilt of the head, even wrist work will be different....And still, we are all taught the same syllabus. But end of the day it is what you, as a dancer do with it, and how you play with it. It def did not restrict my creativity. So although the structure that ballet holds, and same technique for so many of years, you can still get creative, creative in the box of same movements ballet presents. Our aim as a students was always to do that pas, or that turn, or that port the bras differently, more beautiful than yesterday, better than the other girl in the class. I hope you kind of know what I mean? I think creativity is a huge subject and has many many colours. There is a creativity in improvisation, in creating choreography etc., but you can also get creative in doing same plie every single day for years!! (and that is my secret to ballet not being ever boring to me). To me its like children back days and now, you can probably recall those plays yourself as a kid. We didn't have all those toys children these days have to play with, we were put outside and had to get creative with what we got out there ( sticks, trees, stones, I used to make dolls from grass and flowers, castles from sand etc.) I think syllabus can be very helpful for kids to learn and they can still get creative with it. Truth is that some children they just won't, as they generally don't enjoy structure, but you mostly see it in your class early days. Thats is why some go further with it and get on professional level and some stay on the amateur one. In my eyes both are good, as long as they enjoy what the do.

    I did check the Aerial Training course, thank you for that, kind of got me thinking....mhmmm should I start thinking about teaching some Acrobatics? I could write an essay again how Aerial helped me to be a better dancer and teacher but won't bore you with it! Are you thinking to do that course, if yes when?
    Shame there are only 2 dates for UK tho as January would work but Im Module 3 now so January is the most stressful month of my life of course!! Final Presentation! But might look into in for November 2015. You just gave me an idea for my next project of what to do next, thank you for that ;-)

    And last....I love the name of your daughter Storm ;-) I have a 15month old Sky and next to structure I love Nature names.(So much in common with you already) xx

    Take care and happy blogging
    Aggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aggy,
    I absolutely loved reading your reply!! See this is why I love the MAPP family, bringing opportunities for strangers to connect in the most beautiful way and now i already feel like i know you!
    Yes I am a structure follower and i tend to abide by the book. That is me in general with everything i do have been called a jobs worth on plenty of occasions!!
    I hope you can make the course, would be great to do it together, but if course January will be extremely important for your final journey of the masters course. Are you all set on your final project? May i ask what it is about?
    Reading back on your reply and especially about " started loving the structure, repetition of movements in order to achieve the "perfection", years later (till today) the discipline and rigorous environment." (AGGY:2014) not sure i have cited that correctly! This is very much like the way I operate. I find it very difficult and confusing to stray away, i do not mean it in the sense of i am unable to be free and improvised as improvisation is one of my favourite things to do, i mean i need structure guidelines and levels. I like having targets, I like seeing how you need to climb a ladder through hard work and that hard work is recognised and you are rewarded with something, a certificate, a level completed, personal achievement and perhaps a career.
    So i am definitely a pro syllabus type of person. It will be interesting finding the literature to back this or even to read a counter argument and views showing the other way. This though always takes me to the end part of the film Centre Stage, where Maureen Cummings says to her mother "you didnt have the feet, but i have the feet and not the heart"
    I have this discussion with various family members, who think i push Storm to hard in terms of her dancing and gymnastics, and not allowing her to just be a little girl. Sometimes i do question myself but i am strong in my belief for her to have the opportunities now to shape her life later. She is not a little girl who does get to play and have fun, of course she does; she just does ballet, gymnastics and tap alongside. Storm likes what I do, it is our little connection. If she was unhappy, I would never force her to continue. As a parent in the profession i feel that i have an advantage in helping her find her journey.
    What are your thoughts on this, especially as little SKY (Love her name) may want to follow in mummies foot steps! Looking forward to your response : )

    @Maria no i am a module 1 like you so we can share our journey together and definitely keep in touch, to keep each other on track.

    How can i upload a video?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Marie, tell me Im not imagining it or getting to the point that I dream about the Mapp but where is your previous comment when you wrote about the "old school" and about what type of teacher you are and also you were asking me about my final paper and did I accept the new rules of teaching or stayed old school. You talked about those two schools you attended where in one you had too many toilet breaks and teacher with the stick etc. You started by saying that you just seen this post and then came the rest. I have wrote a whole huge respond again around 11 at night yesterday and now cant see both of our posts!! Plus the one of yours above is totaly new to me as I have not seen this one yesterday. Tell me Im not going crazy just yet;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aggy,

      Your not going mad!!! That was on your post, that I wrote a comment about. You were talking about going back to your ballet class and observation and yo u made a statement about the teachers that were stricter often sore higher levels of success!
      Your totally not going crazy!
      btw do u know how to upload videos onto this?

      Delete